How a professional teeth cleaning from your dentist in Salem, OR, can keep your smile healthy
If you want to enjoy a lifetime of healthy smiles, professional teeth cleanings can help you do just that. Here at Sitnik Dental in Salem, OR, your dentist, Dr. Igor Sitnik, offers a wide range of restorative, cosmetic, and preventive services, including professional teeth cleaning services, to give you the best oral health possible—read on to learn more.
What professional teeth cleanings can do for you
Professional teeth cleaning eliminates the soft deposits (plaque) and hard deposits (calculus or tartar) that cling to your teeth. Plaque contains millions of microscopic bacteria that produce toxins. These toxins are strong enough to eat through tooth enamel causing a cavity, and infect your gums and supporting bone.
Brushing after meals and before bed, and flossing at least once each day are the cornerstones of a good oral health program, but they are not enough. You also need regular professional teeth cleaning services to clear away what’s left on your teeth, usually the hard deposits, which cannot be brushed away.
During a professional tooth cleaning appointment, your highly-skilled dental care provider will:
- Use hand and ultrasonic instruments to clean away plaque and calculus, which reduces bacteria levels
- Polish your teeth to remove stains and create a smooth tooth surface, helping to limit bacteria clinging to the tooth surface
- Examine your gums for bleeding and potential signs of infection to determine which areas may need additional treatment
- Take measurements of the pocket areas around your teeth to determine whether you have periodontal disease
- Provide the latest information, education, and tools to help you clean your mouth as effectively as possible when you are at home
You should receive professional teeth cleaning every 6 months if you have a healthy mouth, and possibly more frequently if you are experiencing dental problems.
To learn more about the importance of professional teeth cleaning, talk with your dentist. Just pick up the phone and call Dr. Igor Sitnik at Sitnik Dental in Salem, OR, today by dialing (503) 363-5962.